General description of the work Consultant Rheumatologists undertake
The Consultant Rheumatologist deals with diseases of the bones and joints. These include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Osteoarthritis and osteoporosis
- Soft tissue problems such as whiplash and repetitive strain injury (RSI)
- Connective tissue disease
- Ankylosing Spondolysis, Psoaritic Arthritis, Reflex sympathetic dystrophy, fibromyalgia
Most common clinical areas / procedures leading to a claim of clinical negligence
- Monitoring and side–effects of medication used for rheumatic disease
- the diagnosis and management of fibromyalgia
Sub–Specialities / Alternative and Additional job titles
The Consultant Rheumatologist may also be known as a Consultant in Rheumatology and Rehabilitation.
The Consultant Rheumatologist will have MRCP or FRCP (Membership or Fellowship of one of the Royal Colleges of Physicians) after his/her name.
The Consultant Rheumatologist may be a Lecturer or Professor in Medicine or Rheumatology at a Medical School. He/She may be an Examiner for one of the Royal Colleges of Physicians.