General description of the work Consultant Haematologists undertake

The Consultant Haematologist is a doctor specialising in blood conditions. He/She deals with illnesses such as clotting problems, bleeding disorders, thrombophilia, leukaemia, lymphoma, myeloma, Hodgkin’s disease and bone marrow problems.
He/she also deals with blood transfusions and warfarin and heparin treatments.

Most common clinical areas / procedures leading to a claim of clinical negligence

  • Problems related to blood transfusions
  • Bleeding disorders and warfarin and heparin treatments
  • The diagnosis and management of leukaemia
  • The transmission of blood borne infections in blood transfusions or in the transfusion of blood products.

Sub–Specialities / Alternative and Additional job titles

The Consultant Haematologist may also be known as a Consultant Clinical Haematologist.
The Consultant Haematologist may have a particular interest in bleeding or clotting disorders or in cancers involving the blood.

Usual Qualifications

The Consultant Haematologist will have FRCPath (Fellowship of one of the Royal Colleges of Pathologists) after his name.

Academic Appointments

The Consultant Haematologist may be a Lecturer or Professor in Medicine or in Haematology. He/She may be an Examiner for the Royal College of Pathologists or one of the Royal Colleges of Physicians.