General description of the work Consultant Urologists undertake

The Consultant Urologist is a specialist surgeon who operates on the kidneys, bladder, prostate, ureter, urethra, penis and testes. He/She deals with prostate and bladder cancer as well as cancer of the testicle. In female patients he/she deals with urinary incontinence and urodynamic problems.

Most common clinical areas / procedures leading to a claim of clinical negligence

  • Problems with the diagnosis and management of bladder cancer
  • Problems with the diagnosis and management of testicular cancer
  • Problems with the diagnosis and management of prostate cancer
  • Problems following vasectomy operations

Sub–Specialities / Alternative and Additional job titles

There is some overlap between Consultant Urologists and Consultant Gynaecologists in the management of female urological problems.

Some Urologists may specialise in childhood urology and may be known as Consultant Paediatric Urologists.

A Urologist may also be known as a Consultant Urological Surgeon.

Usual Qualifications

The Consultant Urologist will be known as Mr rather than Dr and will have FRCS (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons) after his name.

Academic Appointments

The Consultant Urologist may be a Lecturer or Professor in Urology. He/She may be an Examiner for one of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons.