General description of the work Consultant Vascular Surgeons undertake
The Consultant Vascular Surgeon is a specialist surgeon who operates on blood vessels and related structures. He/She undertakes the following types of operations;
- Varicose vein operations
- Operations on aortic aneurysms
- Carotid surgery
He/She also deals with deep vein thrombosis, leg ulcers, diabetic arterial damage and traumatic vascular injuries such as stab wounds to the abdomen, neck and chest.
Most common clinical areas / procedures leading to a claim of clinical negligence
- Problems following varicose vein surgery
- Problems with the management of stab wounds and other traumatic injuries
- Deep vein thrombosis, its causes and management
- Bleeding following operations on the arteries and veins
- Infection following vascular surgery
Sub–Specialities / Alternative and Additional job titles
May also be known as a Consultant Surgeon with a Special Interest in Vascular Surgery.
The Consultant Vascular Surgeon will be known as Mr rather than Dr and will have FRCS (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons) after his name.
The Consultant Vascular Surgeon may be a Lecturer or Professor in Surgery or Vascular Surgery. He/She may be an Examiner for one of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons.