General description of the work Consultant Respiratory Physicians undertake
The Consultant Respiratory Physician deals with diseases of the lungs and chest. These include;
- Asthma including Occupational Asthma
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- TB (Tuberculosis)
- Pulmonary Embolus (clot on the lungs)
- Pneumothorax (collapsed lung)
- Pneumonia, bronchitis, Legionnaires disease
- Lung cancer
- Pneumoconiosis, Asbestosis, Silicosis, Sarcoidosis
Most common clinical areas / procedures leading to a claim of clinical negligence
- the treatment and management of patients with pneumonia
- the diagnosis and management of pulmonary embolus
- the diagnosis and treatment of TB
- the diagnosis of lung cancer
- the diagnosis and management of spontaneous pneumothorax
Sub–Specialities / Alternative and Additional job titles
The Consultant Respiratory Physician may be known as a Consultant Physician with a special interest in Respiratory Medicine. He/She may be known as a Consultant Chest Physician.
The Consultant Respiratory Physician will have MRCP or FRCP (Membership or Fellowship of one of the Royal Colleges of Physicians) after his/her name.
The Consultant Respiratory Physician may be a Lecturer or Professor in Medicine or Respiratory Medicine at a Medical School. He/She may be an Examiner for one of the Royal Colleges of Physicians.